AAG: Quadri, Ogundele sure of gold

Aruna Quadri
Nigeria’s table tennis stars, Quadri Aruna and Rashidat
Ogundele, have said their sights are set on winning gold medals
in their events as the table tennis event of the 2015 All Africa
Games begin in Brazaville, Congo.
Aruna will compete in the men’s singles, men’s doubles, mixed
doubles and men’s team events while Ogundele will compete in
the women’s singles, women’s doubles and women’s team
events of the competition.
Aruna told our correspondent on Tuesdays that the challenge
posed by Egypt and Congo would be met by the Nigerian team.
“Table tennis is a team sport,” he said.
“It is not about one individual or a particular person. The target
of the team is to win the gold medals in the events we feature in
just as the other countries want to win too.
“Egypt and Congo are going to be tough but the spirit in our
camp will spur us on to our target.”
Aruna added that he would be on the lookout for his perennial
rival, Omar Assar.
He said, “I am recovering well from the injury to my leg and I
believe I will do well against Omar when we meet this time.
“This competition is different from the previous ones because
the team support will be stronger than when I play as an
individual.”
Ogundele, who is competing in her first AAG, said, “I am going
to Congo to win the gold medals in the events I am competing
in,” she said.
“I have played against opponents from Egypt and Congo and I
believe the level of competition at the AAG will be different from
the others, hence I will do better against them than before.”
Copyright PUNCH. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital
content on this website, may not be reproduced, published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior
express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: editor@punchng.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria gets Africa's first football pitch lit by players

I work for Lagos policeman, says suspected robber April 11, 2016

Police arrest Lagos prince, others during cult initiation