Why I won Reps seat in Lagos – Tony Nwulu

From Nkechi Chima, Abuja
RECENTLY , precisely, Friday October 9, 2015, the National
Assembly Tribunal Sitting in Lagos State, affirmed the
victory of Hon. Tony Nwulu a member representing
Oshodi/ Isolo Federal Constituency 11, Lagos State.
Daily Sun engaged the dynamic leader, young
entrepreneur, philanthropist, National Coordinator, Peoples
Democratic Party (PDP) National Youth Advocacy. In this
interview, the Lagos born law maker spoke to us about his
life as a politician, his fair share of poverty, experiences at
the tribunal, his constituency, broadcasting business and
vision for Nigerian youths among other interesting issues.
Excerpts:
The National Assembly Tribunal sitting in Lagos State just
affirmed your victory as the elected member representing
Oshodi/ Isolo Federal Constituency, how do you feel?
It’s a victory for the constituency, I must appreciate my
constituents immensely for standing by me and remaining
steadfast through the tribunal. I will always return the
gratitude to them for identifying with me as their own. And
I also call on my opponent who is my brother to join me,
let’s move the constituency forward without any
prejudices, because we are one. However, we have no
victor and no vanquished, everyone is a winner, including
those who lost the election.
Could you share some of your experiences, while the case
was at the tribunal?
Constitutionally, he has the right to take his matter to
court, if he feels aggrieved or there were any form of
irregularities perceived, which you cannot take away from
him. Which is the duty of the court to look into the matter,
which the honourable tribunal has dismissed the petition
as lacking basis on the ground that there were no
evidences to defend their claims. Honestly, it shows truly
that Nigeria judiciary system is still at work and they
represent the last hope of the public.
Did you ever envisage any fear of loosing to your
opponent?
It was not about fear, because if you envisage fears, it
means there were things you didn’t do right, then you are
afraid. But, certainly, no matter what you do, there would
be anxiety, which goes with anything in life. We had cases
of corrupt elements in the judiciary and when it decides to
get corrupted, then justice is truncated. I haven’t heard
cases of some judges being dismissed, because of
illegality it could make you get worried and believe in your
creator to deliver the final judgement.
Could you tell us how your journey into politics started?
I have been the national coordinator of People Democracy
Party National Youth Advocacy. It’s a youth-based group
in PDP. I have always loved politics and wish to address
issues differently. I originated from same constituency
you call the common people. Because, I have experienced
poverty, so I understand what it means to be poor, when
there should be enough to support the people.
I recall vividly, how we were addressed as ordinary
Nigerians those days. So, I have been part of them, and I
know their pains. I have felt the helplessness of the youth.
And to exercise my service to the people is through
politics, which motivated me to join politics. So, the
journey began when I got the mandate from almighty God
to run for this elective position.
You have been involved in philanthropic activities, does it
have anything to do with your growing up experiences?
In fact, I was not born with a spoon! My parents were the
average Nigerians. I had my fair share of soaking garri as
meal. As a youth, it’s was a struggle for survival, believing
in God to liberate us from poverty. So, whatever level I
have attained today, was as a result of hard work, grace of
God and perseverance. Having experienced sufferings, it’s
hard for me to pass by someone suffering and never lend
a helping hand. Recently, I visited Isolo General hospitals
as God led me and paid the fees of over 200 patients.
Honestly, it was not about the fees, but their pains. I wept
seeing several cases, women whom their husbands
couldn’t discharge from hospital after child birth; there
were women who were supposed to undergo caesarean
sessions and surgical operations, but money delayed
them, and God led me to touch their lives.
What were the initial challenges you encountered, before
getting to where you are today?
We are still faced with challenges of the old people not
giving the youths opportunities to grow in the system.
Nigeria is recycling the old people, which is not good for
the growth of the nation. I believe when people grow old,
they should give way for the youths to drive the country
forward. But, in a situation where the old men have
refused to allow the youths to express their leadership
qualities, it becomes an issue. Imagine, the same old
people who said the youths are leaders of tomorrow are
now telling us they were referring to our children.
Ironically, when you go to their homes, everything you see
them do is being handled by the youths, either their
children or employed ones.
Nigeria youths are protesting the non-inclusion of the
youths in the ministerial list, what is your take?
It’s a shame at this jet age, there are no inclusion of the
youths on the list. Where is Nigeria heading without
identifying the youths? And we pray it would not lead to a
revolution. We have brilliant, honest and hard working
youths qualified to become ministers. Sincerely, I believe
the youths should be given opportunities to drive this
country to the next level.
You were recently appointed chairman, PDP Youth
Restricting Ring Committee, what is this about?
Well! It’s a committee set up by the PDP. I was actually
appointed the chairman, it related to what I said earlier,
about youths inclusiveness. In PDP, we are driven with
passion of involving the youths in our activities.
Notwithstanding, the time has come for a Nigerian youth
to become the president. So, it’s to further create
opportunity to allow the youths to participate in the
mainstream industries. Also, contest for elective offices,
get supported and being voted for. We believe that PDP
can be placed on the shoulders of the youths, while the
party can be piloted and our fathers guide us with their
wealth of wisdom.
You were the first Igbo man to win a political election in
Lagos, how were you able to climb the ladder of success?
I must commend my Yoruba people for accepting other
their ethnic regions despite where you hail from; no tribal
differences, being able to draw the lines of a true Nigerian,
which the United States is known for. I want to applaud
my brothers for their magnanimity and being nationalistic
in thoughts. My incumbent who was defeated is a Yoruba
man and Yorubas voted for me; there was no favourism,
which would have been to their benefit. Personally, I don’t
believe in tribalism, which was the result of my success.
However, Oshodi/Isolo Federal Constituency is a place of
unity in diversity.
Your constituent has recounted some of your
performances in the past 100 days in office, what are your
greatest achievements?
My achievements are at the public domain, people of my
constituency can attest to my performances. We have
provided buses for all public schools in Oshodi/Isolo
Federal Constituency 11, Lagos State that convey students
to and fro their respective schools. I have equiped the 32
public schools in my constituency with functional
computers in their laboratories. And we have also given
educational materials to primary schools.
Lagos State is governed by an opposition party, as a PDP
lawmaker, how are you coping with the leadership of the
state?
My brother, the governor of Lagos State is doing his best.
Though, we are in different parties, he has his manifesto,
and I cannot judge him. He made promises to Lagosians
and I believe we are partners working toward a greater
Lagos. So far, we have a good working relationship with
him. Recently, Lagos has requested for legislative support
and approval for $200 billions world bank loan. It’s
commendable to move Lagos to become the dream mega
city in Nigeria. Moreover, as a member of PDP in an APC
governed state, I had to drop party differences to become
a partisan politician after the election. As the number one
citizen of my constituency, I represent every member of
my constituency. So, I don’t segregate anyone irrespective
of party.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria gets Africa's first football pitch lit by players

I work for Lagos policeman, says suspected robber April 11, 2016

Police arrest Lagos prince, others during cult initiation