Alamieyeseigha: I’ve lost an elder brother, says Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan
Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday lamented the
death of Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, the first civilian governor of
Bayelsa State, saying he had lost an elder brother.
Jonathan, who served as Alamieyeseigha’s deputy from 1999 to
2005, said he was saddened by the sudden death of his former
boss and benefactor.
He said their relationship was not that of a governor and a
deputy but that of an elder brother and a younger brother.
Jonathan spoke when he paid a condolence visit to the family of
deceased at their Opolo, Yenagoa residence, on Friday.
The former President assured the Bayelsa State Government
and the Alamieyeseigha family of his commitment towards
giving the departed foremost Ijaw leader a befitting state burial.
He stressed that the deceased leader stood firmly for Bayelsa,
the Ijaw people and the South-South geo-political region.
He assured the Alamieyeseighas, especially the widow and
children, of his continued support.
Jonathan said, “I knew Alamieyeseigha during the UNCP days,
when we were working for him. I never knew I was going to be
his deputy because that was not my interest then.
“From that time, the political evolution in the country and the
state brought me to run with him. From 1999, we have been
together. He always took me as his younger brother. Our
relationship was not that of a governor and his deputy but that
of an elder and a younger brother.
Meanwhile, a letter has surfaced online in which former
President Goodluck Jonathan informs former President
Olusegun Obasanjo about the plan to launch The Goodluck
Jonathan Foundation in the third quarter of 2016.
In the letter posted on Sahara Reporters on Friday, Jonathan,
who started with the salutation, Dear Baba, said he had set up
an office in his home state of Bayelsa, where “I can be reached
and members of my staff are poised to serve you and respond
to your enquiries at all times.”
In the letter dated September 22, 2015, Jonathan said since he
handed over to President Muhammadu Buhari, he proceeded on
a long deserved break where he “enjoyed a delightful time with
my family and close friends.”
“Now well rested, I am back to work to continue to serve and
dedicate my life to promoting peace and prosperity for all,” he
said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria gets Africa's first football pitch lit by players

AUGUST 16, 2015 : ALJAZEERA

I work for Lagos policeman, says suspected robber April 11, 2016