Arms deal: I collected money from Jonathan not Dasuki –Metuh





From Taiwo Amodu, Abuja
National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic
Party (PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh, yesterday raised the alarm
of an alleged plot by the Federal Government to implicate
him in in its ongoing investigation of alleged diversion of
$2.1 billion arms purchase into presidential campaign.
Former National Security Adviser (SA), Col. Sambo Dasuki
(retd), and others are accused of disbursing the money to
some top government officials and companies. They are
facing trial presently.
Addressing newsmen yesterday in Abuja, Metuh said he
collected money from former President Goodluck
Jonathan “to carry out some assignment relating to my
office and which he (Jonathan)  duly funded.” He denied
any dealings with the immediate past Federal Government
or any of its security apparatus.
Metuh, who refused to take questions from newsmen, did
not disclose the amount Jonathan gave him and the nature
of the assignment.
His statement to journalists reads in part:
“Gentlemen of the Press, this briefing is expedient, taking
into consideration the times we find ourselves, especially
as they relate to me. “In the last seven months, as
opposition spokesperson, I have been hounded, harassed,
intimidated and threatened severally. In order to avoid
personal and family pressure, I had refrained from bringing
them to the public domain.
“However, on account of recent information available to
me, I now have cause to believe that the Federal
Government is desperate and may have finalized plans to
silence me. Nevertheless, I make bold to state the
following:
“As someone who has been a private person, having not
taken any public office, the choice of where, how and when
to invest and conduct my personal business remains my
prerogative. In this regard, I note that I never had any
contract dealings with the immediate past Federal
Government or any of its security apparatus.
“In the course of my duties as the National Publicity
Secretary of our party, the then leader of our party and
President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria invited me and
directed that I carry out some assignment relating to my
office and which he duly funded. It is important to note
that the former President was fully satisfied with the way
and manner I handled the assignment.
“Finally, I reiterate that the present government should not
use the apparatus of state power to settle personal
scores,” Metuh said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria gets Africa's first football pitch lit by players

I work for Lagos policeman, says suspected robber April 11, 2016

Police arrest Lagos prince, others during cult initiation