Joshua wins British heavyweight title with 15th knockout By AFP






Olympic champion Anthony Joshua defeated
former kick-boxer Dillian Whyte to take the
British heavyweight title on Saturday with a
bruising seventh-round knockout and edge closer
to a possible shot at the world crown.
The 26-year-old took his record to 15 knockouts
from 15 fights since turning pro after winning
2012 Olympic gold in London.
Joshua’s latest win raises the prospect of a clash
with WBO and WBA heavyweight champion
Tyson Fury if his fellow British fighter beats
Wladimir Klitschko in their world title rematch.
“Yes I enjoyed it, more because it was about
bragging rights,” said Joshua who had lost to
Whyte in 2009 during their amateur careers.
“There had been a lot of talking, all the way back
since 2009. We’d been patiently waiting for this
moment and I enjoy being victorious and
showing that talk is cheap, you have to back it up
when you’re in the ring.
“He was tough, there were times when I hurt him
in the first round and he hurt me in the second. It
was a matter of who had that little more grit,
determination and skill.”
Saturday’s fight was the first time Joshua had
been taken beyond three rounds in his
professional career.
“I took myself past three rounds and felt that I
carried the right engine through the fight,” he
added.
“Even when I had been loading up and doing
silly things, I still had enough power to knock
him out in the seventh.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria gets Africa's first football pitch lit by players

I work for Lagos policeman, says suspected robber April 11, 2016

Police arrest Lagos prince, others during cult initiation